History of Glenview

The following contains excerpts from “Glenview at 75: 1899-1974″ published by the Glenview Area Historical Society.

Naming the Village
Incorporation
Timeline

Naming the Village — 1895

The entire Northfield Township originally was known as the town of Northfield.  It in turn was divided as follows:

West Northfield – the Grove area;
North Northfield – the Northbrook Village
North Branch and South Northfield – the area comprising the section around Waukegan Road, Glenview Road and the river intersection.

South Northfield was the name used by the Post Office and the schools.  It was a awkward and confusing name temporarily changed to North Branch , and on March 6, 1878, was renamed Oak Glen by Fred Hutchings.  However, there was another community which had incorporated under the name Oak Glen.  Because of the confusion, the railroad insisted on a change of name for its station and schedules and suggested the name of Hutchings to honor the late James Hutchings, husband of the railroad benefactor, Sarah Hutchings.  Mrs. Hutchings and family vetoed the idea because the shabby little box care used as a station did not seem an appropriate recognition of their name and benevolence.  The railroad again approached the village and, got nowhere.  Unaffected by the reaction of the villagers, it simply changed the station name to Barr and hung a huge black and white sign on it designating this area as “Barr.”  The railroad selected the name “Barr” to honor the division superintendent of the railroad at the time.

However, the name “Barr” was used only by the railroad as a designation for its station and not for the rest of the village.  The Post Office demanded that an official name be selected whereupon a special meeting of the villagers was called in the hall above Al Eustice’s Saloon (later John Dilg’s).  Various names were suggested such as Rugenville, Glenvarr, Glendale, Glengrove, Glen Hollow, Oak View, and Glenview.

The name Glenview won the majority vote and it was on May 7, 1895, four years before incorporation of the village of Glenview, that the name “Barr” was removed from the railroad station and replaced by the name of “Glenview.”

 Incorporation – 1899    

With the problems confronting the increasing population and the desire of the people to form a governing body in the town, a need to organize and incorporate became apparent.

In 1899, an election was held to vote for incorporation.  The issue was defeated.  A year later, in 1899, the question was again placed before the people and this time carried by 8 votes.  A charter was issued on June 20, 1899, and Glenview was incorporated as a Village with 325 adults.

Timeline – Some highlights in the history of Glenview, Ilinois

1833 – Indian Treaty; first white settlers arrive

1836 – Grove settled by Dr. John Kennicott

1840 – Stagecoach hotel built on Milwaukee Ave. (formerly Nelson Printing)

1841 (circa)- First public school built (Waukegan Road near the river)

1846 – Grove post office established

1851 – Plank road built (Milwaukee Road)

1853 – Post office established at Glenview and Waukegan Roads

1854 – Grove School established

1860 (circa)- First church built (800 block of Shermer)

1868 – First Rugen school (replaced old Cammack School)

1872 – Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad built to bring building supplies into Chicago after the Great Fire

1874 – Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran School established

1876 – First Rugen General Store open

1878 – Glenview House built

1892 – Railroad adds a second track; commuter service built

1893 – Swedenborgian community (The Park) established; area’s first planned community

1895 – Oak Glen renamed Glen View

1897 – Glen View Golf Club established

1899 – Village Incorporated (vote was 59-51)

1901 – Civic improvements made: wooden sidewalks, gas streetlights and Waukegan Rd. stone bridge built

1901 – First high school (New Trier) opens

1903 – First telephone exchange

1903 – Second Rugen School built (on Shermer)

1905 – Glenview Public School built (Waukegan Road – site of present Village Hall)

1911 – Volunteer Fire Department organized

1912 – Concrete sidewalks poured

1914 – Milwaukee Avenue paved

1916 – Village water and sewer system established

1917 – Jackman Bear Fountain dedicated; Glenview Days Festivals begun

1920 – Glenview State Bank established

1921 – Glenview Road paved

1926 – First Glenview Boy and Girl Scout Troops established

1927 – Glenview Civic Bldg. (former Village Hall, now Park District Headquaters dedicated)

1927 – Pickwick Golf Course built (now Station links)

1928 – OLPH parish school completed

1929 – Curtiss-Reynolds-Wright Airfield built

1930 – Glenview Library established

1931 – Council-manager form of village government adopted

1933 – International Air Races (held in conjunction with Century of Progress) at Curtiss

1935 – Roosevelt Park completed by WPA

1937 – Naval Reserve Aviation Base Chicago established at Curtiss – Navy and civilian aviation share facilities

1942 – Navy undertakes major expansion and implementation of aviation training programs

1942 – Swain Nelson Nursery undertakes manufacture of bombsights and other military devices in their greenhouses (now Glenview Park District greenhouses on Glenview Road)

1943 – More than 15,000 pilots from Naval Air Station Glenview complete carrier qualification aboard the training
1944    “aircraft carriers” USS Wolverine and Sable

1945 – Our Lady of Perpetual Help School built

1949 – Glenview’s first air mail delivery via helicopter

1950 – Dial telephone service comes to the service

1954 – Junior High School (now Springman) built

1956 – Glenkirk School established

1957 – Kraft Foods Company comes to Glenview

1961 – St. Catherine School opened

1962 – Glenbrook South High School opened

1964 – Scott Foresman moves main office to Glenview

1972 – Park District Ice Center built

1973 – New Glenview State Bank built

1974 – First policewoman hired by Glenview Police Department

1974 – New police station built on Waukegan Rd.; existing fire station remodeled

1974 – Vote to purchase and develop the Grove

1977 – Glenbrook Hospital opened

1982 – Present Village Hall dedicated

1984 – Public Works Center built

1988 – Patten House dedicated

1994 – Present train station built

1995 – Naval Air Station Glenview decommissioned

1997 – Following the death of last member of the Wagner family, the final working farm in the village is for sale